See what we provide
- Exceptional integrated academic programs with intensive English for students from non-English speaking countries.
- Highly competent International Counsellors, Support Teachers and International Program support staff.
- English as a Second Language programs at elementary, intermediate and advanced levels.
- Outstanding university preparatory programs.
- British Columbia High School graduation programs.
- A graduation certificate that is recognized by all Canadian and USA universities.
- Excellent Homestays supported by District Coordinator
- Pre-Arrival English Assessment and practice English lessons provided to students before arrival in Canada.
The Mission School District’s International Programs meet the highest standards of academic rigour and provide invaluable life skills to further a student’s chances for success.
- Our program has been providing quality international education experiences since 2002.
- Although programs are open to students of varying ages, focus is on students ages 12 – 18
- Curriculum is approved and accredited by the British Columbia Ministry of Education.
- Academic program graduates are accepted into top universities and colleges
throughout Canada and around the world.
- MIP is part of the Mission School District, a public school district in the Province of British Columbia, Canada.
- The Mission School District is located in the Fraser Valley, one hour east of Vancouver and 15 minutes north of the U.S.A. border.
University and Government Accredited Teachers
Our teachers are highly trained, government-certified professionals. Teaching faculty has completed university-level training in education, holding Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degrees in their particular subject area.
A Balanced Approach to Learning
The Academic High School Program instills a balanced and positive outlook in young minds. Students are encouraged to become active and full members of their school and community through athletics, cultural activities, volunteering and other non-academic pursuits.
Flexibility to Meet Individual Needs
Each of our District’s government-certified schools has its own unique character and provides a wide range of course options. The low ratio of international to Canadian students encourages our international students to interact meaningfully with their Canadian classmates, facilitating a rich cultural exchange.
A large part of our Secondary Program success is due to our homestay program. Students stay with friendly families in comfortable homes, all organized and monitored by our own homestay coordinator.
Outstanding Student Support
Our years of experience in international education have made us keenly aware of the unique needs of international students. To assist our students and encourage their success, we provide comprehensive support which includes:
- School-based international student counselors at each of our high schools and middle schools
- Our own registered homestay program
- An orientation for all new international students
- Professional, experienced program staff committed to student success
2016 – 2017 Important Dates
September to January
- Orientation: August 30-Sep 2 (arrive August 27-28)
- First Day of Classes: Tuesday, September 6
- Last Day of Classes: Thursday, June 29
February to June
- Orientation date: Tuesday, January 31 (Arrive January 28 or 29)
- First Day of Classes: Monday, January 30
- Last Day of Classes: Thursday, June 29
While studying in Mission, elementary-aged international students may enrol in our schools for a minimum of one year providing they reside with their own parent(s) if the student is younger than 11 years old.
The Mission School District’s elementary schools provide quality education for students in Kindergarten through Grade 6 programs which are divided into two levels: primary (Kindergarten to Grade 3) and intermediate (Grades 4 to 6). Kindergarten students must turn five before December 31 of the year they enter Kindergarten.
Secondary Academic Program
Students who enter Grade 10 earn credits toward graduation in a three-year program: Grades 10, 11, and 12. A total of 80 credits are required for graduation which are earned by taking required courses such as Language Arts, Social Studies, Science(s), Mathematics, Physical Education, Fine Arts, and Applied Skills programs.
Fine Arts subjects such as Dance, Drama, Music, and Visual Arts provide opportunities for students to represent their learning through creating, communicating, and performing. Applied Skills courses such as Business Education, Home Economics, and Information Technology provide students with an opportunity to develop knowledge and apply practical skills.
Each secondary school has an International Counsellor available to assist the international students with course selection and programming as well as offering support and guidance throughout the year(s) of study.
Secondary-aged international students may reside with family members or in approved homestays.
Programs and Education
International High School students studying in Mission can take advantage of a wide range of programs available to them. Students may come for a year of academic English, or they can begin their study and work towards graduation and receive the British Columbia Dogwood Graduation Diploma.
Clubs and Activities
Our schools have many clubs, teams and activities in which International Students can participate, offering them opportunities to connect with Canadian Students and practice their English in a natural, easy going environment.
English Language Courses
International Students are tested upon arrival to determine how much English Language Support will be required.
We integrate our students into regular classes with Canadian students immediately upon arrival, giving International Students opportunities to see, hear and experience Canadian language and culture. We are careful to assign students to classes and course content appropriate to their language skills. After school Academic Support Classes and credit ESL/ELL courses are provided for our English Language Learners.
Pre-Arrival English assessment and practice English lessons are provided as soon as students enrol in our program.